Thursday, April 15, 2010

Caramel Popcorn - Getting Rave Reviews!

I love Crunch and Munch Popcorn with peanuts, and  This recipe is always a hit when we make it in class.

The concept is simple - get a paper grocary bag and shake the day-lights out of the popcorn after you have made the syrup!  The kids loved taking turns shaking it up, and got to enjoy the popcorn while learning more about SUGAR and the many uses that it has in the world, from candy, to powering Maui Hawaii, to using it as gasoline in vehicles.  It was a fun and educational day that the kids are anxious to share with their families!


CARAMEL POPCORN


Ingredients:

16 cups popcorn

1 large brown paper shopping bag

1 cup brown sugar

1/4 cup light corn syrup

1/2 stick butter

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon vanilla



DIRECTIONS:

1. Place the popped popcorn in the brown paper bag and set aside.

2. Combine the brown sugar, corn syrup, butter and salt in a 32 ounce (4 cup) glass measuring cup. Cook in the microwave on high for 2 minutes or until the mixture bubbles. Stir the mixture.

3. Microwave again on high for 2 minutes, stirring after each minute

4. Add the vanilla and the baking soda, stir well

5. Pour the caramel mixture over the popcorn in the bag. Fold down the top of the bag and SHAKE WELL.

6. Place the bag in the microwave and microwave on HIGH for one minute and SHAKE

8. Microwave 30 more seconds and SHAKE

9. Microwave 30 more seconds and SHAKE

10. Pour the caramel corn on a foil lined tray to cool. After the corn is cool, place in an airtight container to keep fresh.

1 comment:

  1. I work at Stone Hill Middle School and, I made this with my students this year. I made it in college and my professor had us use the paper bag. The textbook and websites say not to microwave paper bags. I had never really thought about it because this is the only recipe that I had ever used a paper bag. I did not have the students use the paper bag, instead they put the popcorn on a cookie sheet lined with wax paper and poured the caramel on. They really liked it. Has anyone had trouble with using the paper bag? I guess it could be a fire hazard, and I read that there may be chemicals in the inks(writing and graphics on the bag) I was just wondering if anyone knew more about this?

    ReplyDelete

FCCLA - Be A Part of It!